SPN 164/FMI 1
SPN 164/FMI 1 indicates a Quantity Control Valve Low Side driver error. This condition can occur when:
- MCM pin 2 circuit is shorted to power
- Internal short of the Quantity Control Valve
Check as follows:
- Disconnect the Quantity Control Valve harness connector.
- Ensure the multi meter (DVOM) resistance is zero.
- If meter can auto zero, perform this function before making a resistance measurement
- If meter can not auto zero, note the resistance of the leads and subtract it from the measurement taken in step 3
- Measure the resistance across pins 1 and 2 of the Quantity Control Valve.
- If the resistance is less than 1.3 Ω, replace Quantity Control Valve. Refer to "31.2.1 Verify Repairs" .
- If the resistance is between 1.3 Ω and 1.4 Ω, go to the next step.
- Disconnect the 120-pin MCM connector and check for corroded, bent or broken pins. Ensure both the MCM and harness connector pins are checked. Repair or replace if needed
- Turn ignition ON.
- Measure the voltage at pin 2 of the Quantity Control Valve harness connector.
Verify repairs as follows:
- Turn ignition OFF.
- Reconnect any electrical connections that were disconnected to perform the diagnosis.
- Clear codes with DDDL 7.0 or latest version.
To avoid injury from inhaling engine exhaust, always operate the engine in a well-ventilated area. Engine exhaust is toxic.
- Start and bring engine up to operating temperature (over 140°F/60°C).
- Verify operation is satisfactory and no warning lamps illuminate. If warning lamps illuminate, troubleshoot the codes. If assistance is required, call the Detroit Diesel Customer Support Center at 313–592–5800.
|EPA07 DD15 Troubleshooting Guide - DDC-SVC-MAN-0029|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|