Black or Gray Smoke Problem
To determine if an improper grade of fuel oil is causing excessive black or gray smoke, perform the following steps:
- Acquire a fuel oil sample from the vehicle fuel tank(s).
- Submit fuel oil sample for testing.
- If evidence of improper grade fuel in system, follow these steps to resolve concern:
- Drain the fuel oil tanks; refer to OEM guidelines, and dispose of properly.
- Refill the fuel oil tanks with new fuel oil having a cetane number greater than 45.
- Test operation.
A faulty fuel injector, such as a blown or plugged nozzle, can cause black smoke. Follow procedures in testing section and in Series 60 service manual (6SE483) or Series 50 service manual (6SE50) to check.
|Unit Fuel Injectors and Unit Pumps Technician's Guide - 7SE500|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|