Series 50/60 DDEC Improper Injector Calibration Test
To determine if an improper injector calibration setting is causing the cylinder to misfire, perform the following steps:
- Remove the valve rocker cover(s).
- Record the injector calibration code of each injector noting the cylinder number.
Note: Injector calibration and bar codes may be absent from the load plates on first-run production N2 (DDEC III/IV) injectors 5235575, 5235580, and 5235550. The correct calibration code for these units is "01". Load plates on current N2 (DDEC III/IV) injectors include the required calibration or bar code information. On N3 (DDEC IV & DDEC V) injectors the calibration code is found on the name plate.
To find the injector calibration code location:
- Turn vehicle ignition to the on position, but do not run engine.
- Install Diagnostic Data Line (DDL) adaptor to the data cable and plug the adaptor into the DDL connector in the vehicle; refer to OEM guidelines.
- From the Diagnostic Data Reader (DDR) DDEC III/IV Select Menu, scroll to select ENGINE and press the ENTER key.
- Scroll to select FUEL INJECTOR INFO and press the ENTER key.
- Scroll to select FUEL INJECTOR CAL and press the ENTER key.
- Scroll to select FUEL INJECTOR VIEW and press the ENTER key.
- Compare the calibration code(s) shown on the display with the two digit calibration code(s) on the injector(s).
- If the calibration code on the display is different then the calibration code on the suspect injector for that cylinder, the injector setting must be repaired.
- If test codes match, look for improper valve clearance or injector height, and worn or damaged camshaft lobes and rollers. See current Series 60 service manual (6SE483) or Series 50 service manual (6SE50).
Improper Injector Setting Repair:
Perform the following steps to recalibrate improper injector setting:
- Scroll to select FUNCTION to return to the FUEL INJECTOR CAL menu on the DDR.
- Scroll to select FUEL INJECTOR CAL. Select UPDATE and press the ENTER key.
- Type the four-digit "Update Injector Calibration" password for the DDR and press the ENTER key. If this feature is not password protected, type "0000" and press the ENTER key.
- A message will appear telling you to use the scroll keys to select the cylinder (requiring changes) or select TYPE # (enter the numerical keys to change the CAL (calibration value).
Note: Note: An asterisk (*) will highlight the first cylinder number on the list.
- Scroll to the cylinder requiring change and type in the required two-digit injector calibration code number. Press the ENTER key.
Note: The ENTER key must be pressed before the DDR will allow selection of another cylinder number.
- Repeat step until all changes have been made.
- Scroll to select FUNCTION and press the ENTER key.
- Scroll to select YES and press the ENTER key to reprogram the ECM with the revised injector calibration codes.
Note: Turning the ignition to the off position and waiting five seconds before starting the engine is not required.
- Disconnect the DDR; refer to OEM guidelines .
Verification of Repair for Improper Injector Setting:
Perform the following steps to determine if the proper injector setting adjustment resolved the misfiring cylinder condition:
- Install the valve rocker cover(s).
- Start the engine.
- Run the engine at 1000 rpm.
- Listen for misfiring cylinder.
- If the engine is not misfiring, no further troubleshooting is required. Shut down the engine.
- If the engine is misfiring, shut down the engine. Check for improper valve clearance and injector height and damaged or worn camshaft lobes and rollers.
|Unit Fuel Injectors and Unit Pumps Technician's Guide - 7SE500|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|