Perform the following procedures for removal and installation of the oil filter.
Oil Filter Element Replacement
Replace the oil filter element as follows:
- Clean the outside of the oil filter housing, then unscrew the oil filter cap from the housing. See Figure
"Oil Filter Cap"
Figure 1. Oil Filter Cap
Note: Use care to prevent foreign objects from entering the filter housing.
- Unscrew the cap and filter and allow the oil to drain into the housing. After draining, remove the assembly from the housing. See Figure
"Oil Filter Element Replacement"
1. Oil Filter Cap
3. Oil Filter Housing
Figure 2. Oil Filter Element Replacement
- Remove the element by pressing and twisting the side and detaching it from the cap.
- Remove the oil filter O-ring and discard it. Lightly grease a new O-ring with engine oil and install it.
- Insert a new filter element into the housing.
- Install the cap on the filter and tighten the cap nut to 25 N·m (18 lb·ft).
Diesel engine exhaust and some of its constituents are known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, and other reproductive harm.
- Always start and operate an engine in a well ventilated area.
- If operating an engine in an enclosed area, vent the exhaust to the outside.
- Do not modify or tamper with the exhaust system or emission control system.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Check the engine oil level and add oil if necessary.