Section 11.3 Running the Engine
Running the Engine
The following sections cover normal operations:
The battery charge indicator light must go out once the engine starts.
If the indicator light comes on while the engine is running, do the following:
- Shut down the engine.
- Check the poly-V belt for tightness.
To avoid injury from fire, keep all potential ignition sources away from diesel fuel, including open flames, sparks, and electrical resistance heating elements. Do not smoke when refueling.
- Do a load test on the batteries. Charge or replace the batteries as needed.
- If necessary, visit the nearest authorized dealer to have the alternator voltage and output checked.
When the engine has reached its normal operating temperature, the engine oil pressure must not drop below the following values:
- 250 kPa (36 psi) at rated speed
- 50 kPa (7 psi) at idling speed
If oil pressure drops below these values, stop the engine and determine the cause.
Never allow the engine to idle for more than 30 minutes. Excessive idling can cause oil to leak from the turbocharger.
Changing the Idle Speed
The rpm range of the MBE 4000 engine is 600 to 850 rpm if the parameters in the VCU are set to the default range.
Change the idling speed as follows:
- Turn the cruise control switch to the OFF position.
- To increase the idle speed, push the "Resume" switch until the idle is fast enough.
- To decrease the idle speed, push the "Decel" switch until the idle is slow enough.
Emergency Running Mode
The engine is equipped with the electronic engine control system, which monitors the engine as it is running.
As soon as a fault is detected, it is evaluated and one of the following measures is initiated.
To prevent possible serious engine damage, have any faults corrected without delay by an authorized dealer.
- In conjunction with the instrumentation control unit (ICU), the code for the electronic control unit reporting the fault can be read immediately on the display.
- Complete fault codes are transmitted and can be read using minidiag2 at any authorized dealer.
- If the fault is serious enough to impair normal operation, the electronic engine system switches over to emergency running mode. When in emergency running mode, the engine operates at a constant 1300 rpm. This allows you to move the vehicle to a service location.