Section 12.2 Adjusting Valve Lash
Adjusting Valve Lash
Adjust the valve lash as follows:
- If adjustment is needed, unscrew the locknut. See Figure
"Valve Lash Adjustment"
. Turn the adjusting screw until the valve lash is correct. Use the exact settings given in the "Adjust To" column listed in Table
"Valve Lash Checking and Adjustment"
1. Adjusting Screw
Figure 1. Valve Lash Adjustment
Note: When adjusting the valves, adjust to the exact setting. Use the range only for checking adjustment.
- Tighten the locknut 50 N·m (37 lb·ft).
- Check the valve lash again. Adjust again if necessary.
- Install the cylinder head covers.
- Remove the cranking tool (J 46392)
from the inspection hole in the flywheel housing.
- Replace the end cover on the inspection hole and tighten the bolts 25 N·m (18 lb·ft).