Front Cover Housing
For an exploded view of the front cover housing, see Figure "Front Cover Housing" .
1. Vibration Damper
4. Front Cover Housing
7. Housing Mounting Bolt
2. Oil Deflector
5. Cover Housing Gasket
3. Front Radial Seal
6. Oil Pan
Figure 1. Front Cover Housing
Front Cover Housing Removal
Remove the front cover housing as follows:
- Park the vehicle on a level spot, set the parking brakes, and chock the tires.
- Tilt the hood.
- Remove the front engine mounting bolts attaching the front cover housing to the front crossmember.
To prevent damage to the oil pan, protect the pan by placing a board on the jack lifting surface.
- Using a floor jack, lift up the oil pan.
- Remove the vibration damper from the engine through the opening in the bumper. Refer to "1.12.1 Crankshaft Vibration Damper Removal" .
- Remove the mounting bolts attaching the front cover housing to the block. Remove the front cover housing from the cylinder block. Remove and discard the cover housing gasket.
- Remove the front radial seal from the front cover housing.
Front Cover Housing Installation
Install the front cover housing as follows:
- Install a new gasket on the cylinder block.
- Lubricate the seal race on the crankshaft with a light coating of engine oil.
- Install the front cover on the cylinder block. Tighten the front cover mounting bolts to 60 N·m (44 lb·ft).
- Install the front radial seal. Refer to "1.7.2 Front Radial Seal Installation" .
- Install the vibration damper on the crankshaft. Refer to "1.12.2 Crankshaft Vibration Damper Installation" .
- Lower the oil pan and remove the floor jack.
- Install the front engine mounting bolts attaching the front cover housing to the front crossmember. Tighten the front engine mounting bolts to 325 N·m (240 lb·ft).
- Close the hood, and remove the chocks from the tires.
|MBE 4000 Service Manual - 6SE412|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|