Crankshaft Vibration Damper
A special tool, Engine Barring Tool (J–46392) is required for this procedure.
Crankshaft Vibration Damper Removal
Remove the crankshaft vibration damper as follows:
- Remove the drive belts from the alternator, coolant-pump, idler, and air-conditioner compressor pulleys, as installed.
- Install the engine barring tool (J–46392) with the locking pin in place. Refer to "1.16.2 Engine Barring Tool Removal" .
- To gain access to the vibration damper, remove the lower mounting bolts from the bottom of the front fairing/bumper.
- Remove the mounting bolts from the vibration damper. Drop the vibration damper down below the radiator and remove it from the engine. See Figure
"Vibration Damper Removal"
1. Vibration Damper
3. Oil Deflector
2. Mounting Bolt
4. End of Crankshaft
Figure 1. Vibration Damper Removal
- Remove the oil deflector from the crankshaft.
- Inspect the vibration damper for signs of wear, dents, deformation, or other signs of damage. Replace the damper if the belt contact surface is worn or damaged.
Note: The vibration damper has a crankshaft pulley bolted to it to accommodate two additional drive belts. It is not necessary to disassemble the vibration damper unless the crankshaft pulley is damaged and needs to be replaced.
Crankshaft Vibration Damper Installation
Install the crankshaft vibration damper as follows:
Note: Check the crankshaft front seal for oil leaks. If leakage is found, replace the front seal. Refer to "1.7 Front Radial Seal" .
- Install the oil deflector. Make sure the rim is facing the engine.
- Install the vibration damper on the crankshaft, as removed. Tighten the bolts 200 N·m (148 lb·ft). Use an alternating sequence until all six bolts are tight.
- Install the lower mounting bolts on the bottom of the front fairing/bumper, as removed.
- Remove the engine barring tool from the flywheel housing. Refer to "1.16.2 Engine Barring Tool Removal" .
- Install the drive belts on their pulleys, as removed.
|MBE 4000 Service Manual - 6SE412|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|