Coolant Temperature Sensor
Perform the following procedures for removal and installation of the coolant temperature sensor.
Coolant Temperature Sensor Disassembly
Disassemble the coolant temperature sensor as follows:
To avoid scalding from the expulsion of hot coolant, never remove the cooling system pressure cap while the engine is at operating temperature. Wear adequate protective clothing (face shield, rubber gloves, apron, and boots). Remove the cap slowly to relieve pressure.
- Drain some coolant from the engine.
Note: It is not necessary to drain all the coolant from the engine to do this procedure. Enough has to be drained to prevent coolant from leaking out while the sensor is being changed.
- Remove the engine trim panel.
- Locate the temperature sensor behind the engine harness, between unit pumps #2 and #3. See Figure
"Coolant Temperature Sensor Location"
1. Cylinder Block
3. Coolant Temperature Sensor
2. High-Pressure Fuel Line
4. Engine Harness
Figure 1. Coolant Temperature Sensor Location
- Remove the electrical connector from the sensor.
- Unscrew the sensor from the wall of the cylinder block.
Coolant Temperature Sensor Assembly
Assemble the coolant temperature sensor as follows:
- Screw the new sensor into the hole in the cylinder block, as removed.
- Connect the electrical connector to the sensor. Make sure the connection is secure.
- Install the engine trim panel.
- Fill the engine with coolant, and check for leaks and proper operation.
|MBE 4000 Service Manual - 6SE412|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|