Check as follows:
- Verify that the engine will bar over by hand.
- Check for battery power and ground using a test light between the positive and negative connections.
- If there is no power, inspect the wiring and battery condition. Repair or replace as necessary.
- If there is power, go to step 3 .
- Connect a AMP meter lead from the tester around the positive battery cable.
- Connect the positive red lead from the tester to the positive battery post.
- Connect the negative black lead from the tester to the negative battery post.
To avoid injury from inhaling engine exhaust, always operate the engine in a well-ventilated area. Engine exhaust is toxic.
- Engage the starter
- View the AMP reading when cranking the engine.
- Use a test light on wire A
- If there is no illumination, verify that the MCM parameter is turned on. If it is on inspect the MCM wiring.
- If there is illumination, go to step 9 .
2. Starter Switch
3. Magnetic Switch
4. Cranking Motor
A. Relay Coil
B. Relay Power
Figure 1. CRANKING MOTOR AND HARNESS
- Check for power on wire B.
- If there is no power on B, replace the magnetic switch. Refer to OEM guidelines.
- If there is power, replace the starter. Refer to OEM guidelines.
- To determine if the new starter resolved no start condition, attempt to start and run the engine.
- If the engine starts and runs, no further troubleshooting is required. Shut down the engine.
- If the engine fails to crank, check for internal engine damage. Refer to "6.3 Internal Engine Damage" .
|EPA07 MBE 4000 DDEC VI Troubleshooting Guide - 6SE568|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|