Incorrect Camshaft Timing
To determine if incorrect camshaft timing is causing lack of power, check the camshaft timing; refer to MBE 4000 Service Manual (6SE420), Chapter 1, “Engine — Crankshaft Assembly”.
- If the dial indicator reading on the unit pump lobe is 13.8 mm (0.54 in.) or above, no further troubleshooting in required.
- If the dial indicator reading is not above 13.8 mm (0.54 in.), check engine timing; refer to "13.10.1 Engine Timing Resolution" .
Engine Timing Resolution
Perform the following steps to resolve incorrect engine timing:
- Perform an engine gear train timing check; refer to MBE 4000 Service Manual (6SE420), Chapter 1, Engine - “Crankshaft Assembly”.
- Verify engine timing resolution; refer to "18.104.22.168 Test Engine with Correct Timing" .
Test Engine with Correct Timing
Perform the following steps to determine if corrected engine timing has resolved lack of power condition:
To avoid injury before starting and running the engine, ensure the vehicle is parked on a level surface, parking brake is set, and the wheels are blocked.
- Start and run the engine.
- Test drive the vehicle to ensure lack of power has been resolved.
- If no lack of power occurred during the test drive, no further troubleshooting is required. Shut down the engine.
- If lack of power occurred during the test drive, shut down the engine. Call Detroit Diesel Customer Support Center at 313-592-5800.
|EPA07 MBE 4000 DDEC VI Troubleshooting Guide - 6SE568|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|