SPN 636/FMI 8
The diagnostic condition is typically CKP Sensor Time Out.
Check for Multiple Codes
Check for multiple codes as follows:
- Plug in your diagnostic tool.
- Turn ON ignition and start the engine.
- Read active codes.
- If fault 636/3 is active in addition to fault 636/8 with the engine running, refer to "55.2.1 Open Circuit Check" .
- If fault 636/4 is active in addition to fault s 636/8 with the engine running, refer to "55.3.1 Short to Ground Check" .
- If only fault s 636/8 is active with the engine running, refer to "55.5.1 Sensor Time Out Check" .
Sensor Time Out Check
Check for a sensor time out as follows:
- Check the CKP Sensor position.
- Replace the Vehicle Speed Sensor.
- Check the flywheel position in the timing case through the inspection window using the turning tool.
- Check crankshaft axial play.
- If axial play is not within specifications, repair or replace crankshaft thrust bearings, as required. Refer to "184.108.40.206 Verify Repairs" .
- If axial play is within specifications, contact the Detroit Diesel Customer Support Center (313-592-5800).
Verify repairs as follows:
- Turn ignition OFF.
- Reconnect any electrical connections that were disconnected to perform the diagnosis.
- Clear codes with DDDL 7.0 or latest version.
- Start and bring engine up to operating temperature (over 140°F/60°C).
- Verify operation is satisfactory and no warning lamps illuminate. If warning lamps illuminate, troubleshoot the codes. If assistance is required, call the Detroit Diesel Customer Support Center at 313–592–5800.
|EPA07 MBE 4000 DDEC VI Troubleshooting Guide - 6SE568|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|