Low Battery Voltage
To determine if a weak battery is causing starting difficulty, perform the following steps:
- Measure the battery voltage; refer to OEM guidelines.
- If voltage is between 10.5-14 volts (21-26 volts for a 24 volt system), check the terminals; refer to "17.4 Corroded or Damaged Battery Terminals" .
- If voltage is less than 10.5 volts (21 volts for a 24 volt system), replacement is necessary; refer to "17.3.1 Battery Replacement" .
Perform the following steps for battery repair:
- Remove and replace the battery; refer to OEM guidelines.
- Verify battery replacement; refer to "184.108.40.206 Test Engine With Replaced Battery" .
Test Engine With Replaced Battery
Perform the following to determine if the battery replacement resolved starting difficulty:
- Attempt to start and run the engine.
- If the engine starts and runs, no further troubleshooting is required. Shut the engine down.
- If the engine fails to start and run, check the terminals; refer to "17.4 Corroded or Damaged Battery Terminals" .
|Series 50 Service Manual - 6SE50|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|