Defective Magnetic Switch
To determine if a defective magnetic switch is causing starting difficulty:
- Start engine.
- Clamp a heavy gauge battery jumper cable between the two large studs of the magnetic switch. see Figure
"Basic Cranking Circuit"
Figure 1. Basic Cranking Circuit
- Remove the jumper cable to shut down the engine.
Magnetic Switch Replacement
Perform the following for magnetic switch replacement:
- Replace the magnetic switch; refer to OEM guidelines.
- Verify magnetic switch replacement; refer to "184.108.40.206 Test Engine with Replaced Magnetic Switch" .
Test Engine with Replaced Magnetic Switch
Perform the following to determine if the magnetic switch replacement resolved starting difficulty:
- Attempt to start and run the engine.
- If the engine starts and runs, no further troubleshooting is required. Shut the engine down.
- If the engine fails to start and run, check the starter; refer to "17.6 Defective Starter" .
|Series 50 Service Manual - 6SE50|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|