Plugged Fuel Filter(S)
To determine if a plugged fuel filters is causing starting difficulty, perform the following steps:
- Disconnect the fuel line return hose from the fitting located at the fuel tank.
- Place the opened end of fuel line into a five gallon container.
- Start the engine.
- Run the engine at 1000 r/min.
- Clock fuel rate for one minute.
- Measure the amount of fuel flowed into the container.
- If the fuel flow is greater than 1 gal/min, check for air in fuel; refer to "17.11 Aerated Fuel" . Shut down the engine.
- If the fuel flow is less than 1 gal/min, replace the fuel filters; refer to "17.9.1 Plugged Fuel Filter(s) Replacement" . Shut down the engine.
Plugged Fuel Filter(s) Replacement
Perform the following steps to replace fuel filter(s):
- Replace the fuel filter; refer to "2.7.1 Replacement of Fuel Filter" .
- Test the engine to determine if starting has been improved; refer to "22.214.171.124 Test Engine with Replaced Fuel Filters" .
Test Engine with Replaced Fuel Filters
Perform the following to determine if the replaced fuel filters resolved starting difficulty:
- Attempt to start and run the engine.
- If the engine starts and runs, no further troubleshooting is required. Shut the engine down.
- If the engine fails to start and run, check the fuel pump; refer to "17.10 Fuel Pump" .
|Series 50 Service Manual - 6SE50|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|