Incorrect Camshaft Timing
To determine if incorrect camshaft timing is causing lack of power, perform the following:
- Check the camshaft timing; refer to "220.127.116.11 Test of Camshaft Timing on Diesel Engines"
- If the dial indicator reading is within 0.173-0.215 in., no further troubleshooting is required.
- If the dial indicator reading is not within 0.173-0.215 in., check engine timing; refer to "25.9.1 Engine Timing Resolution" .
Engine Timing Resolution
Perform the following steps to resolve incorrect engine timing:
- Perform an engine gear train timing check; refer to "18.104.22.168 Check Engine Timing" .
- Verify engine timing resolution; refer to "22.214.171.124 Test Engine with Correct Timing" .
Test Engine with Correct Timing
Perform the following steps to determine if corrected engine timing resolved lack of power condition:
- Start and run the engine.
- Test drive the vehicle to ensure lack of power has been resolved.
- If no lack of power occurred during the test drive, no further troubleshooting is required. Shut the engine down.
- If lack of power occurred during the test drive, shut the engine down. Call the Detroit Diesel Technical Service Group.
|Series 50 Service Manual - 6SE50|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|