Injector Nozzle Tube and O-Ring
The injector nozzle bore in the cylinder head passes through the cylinder head water jacket. To prevent coolant from contacting the injector nozzle, a steel tube is installed into the injector bore. The tube has a ring seal at the top to create a watertight and airtight joint.
Replacement of Injector Nozzle Tube and O-Ring
To determine if injector tube replacement is required. See Figure "Injector Nozzle Tube Replacement Flowchart" .
Figure 1. Injector Nozzle Tube Replacement Flowchart
Note: The injector nozzle tube should be replaced whenever the engine is overhauled.
Removal of Injector Nozzle Tube
When removing an injector nozzle tube, use injector tube removal tool set J 41575.
Remove the injector nozzle tube and O-ring as follows:
- Remove the cylinder head. Refer to "1.2.2 Removal of Cylinder Head" .
- Place the injector tube removal tool, J 41575 in the injector tube.
- Remove the injector tube by turning it in a counterclockwise direction. Carefully lift the injector nozzle tube and the installation and removal tool from the cylinder head. If the injector tube O-ring is not removed with the injector nozzle tube, remove the O-ring from the cylinder head casting at the upper end of the injector nozzle tube bore. See Figure
"Injector Nozzle Tube Removal"
2.Injector Nozzle Tube
Figure 2. Injector Nozzle Tube Removal
Cleaning of Injector Nozzle Tube
Thoroughly clean the injector tube hole in the cylinder head to remove any dirt, burrs, or foreign material that may prevent the new injector nozzle tube from sealing properly.
Installation of Injector Nozzle Tube
Install the injector nozzle tube as follows:
Note: Whenever an injector tube is removed for any reason, it should be replaced.
Do not lubricate the outside of the injector nozzle tube or the inside of the cylinder head injector nozzle tube bore. Lubricant may cause the tube to loosen, resulting in lube oil dilution that may lead to engine damage.
- Place the O-ring over the injector nozzle tube, sliding it up to the lip.
- Install the injector nozzle tube on the injector tube installation and removal tool, J 41575. See Figure
"Installation of Injector Tube "
2.Injector Nozzle Tube
Figure 3. Installation of Injector Tube
|Series 55 Service Manual - 6SE55|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|