A full-flow type oil filter is used on the engine. The oil filter are the throw away, spin-on type. See Figure "Spin-on Oil Filter" .
1.Oil Filter Adaptor
Figure 1. Spin-on Oil Filter
Oil from the engine oil pump passes through the full-flow filter before reaching the engine's moving parts. The oil is forced by pump pressure through the filter adaptor and into the filter element. As oil passes through the element, impurities are filtered, and oil exits through another passage in the filter adaptor.
Replacement of Oil Filter
Repair is not possible.
Removal of Oil Filter
Pre-cleaning is not necessary.
Remove oil filter as follows:
- Remove the oil filter using oil filter wrench, J 29927.
- Examine the filter sealing surface to ensure that the seal ring is attached to the filter. If not, remove it from the adaptor and discard the seal.
Installation of Oil Filter
Prior to installation, clean the filter adaptor with a clean, lint-free cloth.
- Lightly coat the new oil filter seal with clean engine oil.
- Start a new filter on the adaptor, and tighten it by hand until the seal touches the adaptor filter head.
Mechanical tightening is not necessary and will distort or crack the adaptor.
- Tighten the filter an additional 2/3 turn after it makes contact with the adaptor filter head.
|Series 55 Service Manual - 6SE55|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|