Two full-flow type lubricating oil filters are used on current Series 60 engines. The oil filters are mounted in a downward position. The filters are throw away, spin-on type. Prior to 1993 the Series 60 engines also had a bypass filter. See Figure "Spin-on Oil Filters" .
Figure 1. Spin-on Oil Filters
Oil supplied by the engine oil pump passes through the full-flow filters before reaching the various moving parts of the engine. The oil is forced by pump pressure through a passage in the filter adaptor and into the elements. Impurities are filtered out as the oil passes through the elements and out through another passage in the filter adaptor.
Replacement of Oil Filter
Install new, full-flow, spin-on oil filters at the following (maximum) intervals or each time the engine oil is changed, whichever comes first:
- Truck and Parlor Coach — 24,000 Km (15,000 Miles)
- Transit Coach — 9,600 Km (6,000 Miles)
Installation of Oil Filter
Install oil filter as follows:
- Fill new oil filters with clean engine oil and lightly coat the filter seal.
- Install new filters onto the adaptors, turning them until they contact the gasket fully with no side movement. Then turn an additional 2/3 turn by hand or as indicated on the filter.
Diesel engine exhaust and some of its constituents are known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, and other reproductive harm.
- Always start and operate an engine in a well ventilated area.
- If operating an engine in an enclosed area, vent the exhaust to the outside.
- Do not modify or tamper with the exhaust system or emission control system.
- Start the engine and check for oil leaks.
Make a visual inspection of all lubricating oil lines for wear and/or chafing. If any indication of wear is evident, replace the oil lines and correct the cause.
If the engine has not been operated for a prolonged period or the turbocharger has been removed or replaced, prelube the the engine through the main oil gallery (pressure lube). Refer to "6.5.6 Assembly of Turbocharger" .
|Series 60 Service Manual - 6SE483|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|