Troubleshooting Flash Code 48, PID 94, 412, 411, 351, 404/FMI 1
This condition is normally associated with a restriction in the fuel supply system (currently not used):
- Plugged fuel filter
- Low fuel supply
Note: Not all engines use a fuel pressure sensor.
For gas engines, code 48 indicates that the air inlet pressure has dropped below a calibration limit.
Flash Code 48 is also used to identify the EGR Delta-Pressure, or EGR temperature is below programmed limits. This condition is typically due to:
- EGR valve not opening completely
- EGR valve not opening at all – leaking CAC.
- Leaking EGR piping/hoses.
Flash Code 48 also indicates the exhaust gas temperature fell below calibrated limits, or EGR Delta-Pressure fell below calibrated limits. Possible causes include:
- EGR valve not opening
- EGR valve not opening fully
- Leaking CAC
Flash Code 48 also indicates the TCI (Turbo Compressor Inlet) or TCO (Turbo Compressor Outlet) temperature fell below the calibrated limits. Possible causes include:
- Leaking CAC
- Leaking inlet piping
- EGR valve not opening properly
Fuel Pressure code is logged as a result of a mechanical fault. Check for reasons for low fuel pressure. Refer to appropriate service manual, section 5.
For all EGR related codes, always perform Exhaust Gas Recirculation System Basic Checks . Refer to "20.18 Exhaust Gas Recirculation System Basic Checks for Series 60 Engines" .
Then, perform the following steps to troubleshoot code 48:
Check for Other Codes
Perform the following steps to check for other codes:
- Turn ignition ON.
- Plug in diagnostic tool.
- Read active codes.
- If code 39 and others display, service the other codes first.
- If code 39 did not display, refer to "51.2.2 Vehicle Air Test" .
Vehicle Air Test
The vehicle air test should have been performed during Exhaust Gas Recirculation System Basic Checks . Refer to "20.18 Exhaust Gas Recirculation System Basic Checks for Series 60 Engines" . If the test was not performed, refer to proper section and perform all steps.
- If the vehicle air system failed the test, resolve low vehicle air pressure.
- If the vehicle air system passed the test, replace the EGR valve and refer to "22.214.171.124 Verify Repairs" for verification of repairs.
- No additional DDEC troubleshooting is recommended for these codes. Do all the Basic Checks and then contact Detroit Diesel Customer Service Center (313–592–5800) for instructions, providing a snapshot and code logging details.
Perform these steps to verify repairs to the vehicle air system:
- Connect all connectors.
- Start engine.
- Perform road test.
- Has the fault returned?
- If the code is logged, review this section to find the error. If the fault returns after review, try a test ECM/ECU or contact the Detroit Diesel Customer Service Center (313–592–5800).
- If no codes are logged, troubleshooting is complete.
|Series 60 DDEC V Troubleshooting Guide - 6SE570|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|