Faulty Air Intake Manifold Gasket
Perform the following steps to troubleshoot the air intake manifold:
- Remove the air intake manifold; refer to MBE 4000 Service Manual, (6SE420) Chapter 6, “Air Intake System”.
- Inspect the air intake manifold and gaskets.
- Install the air intake manifold with new gaskets;
- Verify repair of the air intake manifold; refer to "9.3.1 Test the Engine with a Replaced Charge Air Cooler or Air Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement" .
Test the Engine with a Replaced Charge Air Cooler or Air Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement
To determine if the replaced charge air cooler or air intake manifold gasket resolved the excessive exhaust smoke condition, perform the following:
To avoid injury before starting and running the engine, ensure the vehicle is parked on a level surface, parking brake is set, and the wheels are blocked.
- Start and run the engine.
- Run the engine at idle with a no-load condition for approximately five minutes, allowing the engine coolant to reach normal operating range, approximately 88-96°C (190-205°F).
- Visually inspect exhaust for excessive black or gray smoke.
- If the engine exhaust emission appears normal, no further troubleshooting is required. Shut down the engine.
- If the engine exhaust emission is excessively black or gray, shut down the engine. Check for a faulty exhaust system; refer to "9.4 Faulty Exhaust System" .
|EPA07 MBE 4000 DDEC VI Troubleshooting Guide - 6SE568|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|