Faulty Fuel Injector
To determine if a faulty fuel injector is causing the cylinder to misfire, perform the following steps:
- Install DDL adaptor to the data cable and plug the adaptor into the DDL connector in the vehicle; refer to OEM guidelines.
- Start and run the engine at no-load.
- From the DDEC III Select Menu, scroll to select ENGINE and press the ENTER key.
- Scroll to FUEL INJECTOR INFO (CUTOUT) and press the ENTER key.
- Scroll to select NEW TEST and press the ENTER key.
- Scroll to select RPM SETTING FOR CCO TEST NORMAL and scroll to select 1000 and press the ENTER key.
- Scroll to select AUTO and press the ENTER key. Wait for END OF TEST.
Note: If an injector cannot be cutout, an ERROR message will appear. Press FUNC to exit the cylinder cutout function, press the FUNC key.
- Scroll the list to review the results of the cylinder cutout test. To find suspect injectors, look for a cylinder with a value that is within 0.2° of the NO CUTOUT PULSE WIDTH, by comparing the CUTOUT PULSE WIDTH values to the NO CUTOUT PULSE WIDTH values.
Faulty Fuel Injector Repair
Perform the following steps for faulty fuel injector assembly(s):
- Remove and replace injector assembly(s) whose values are within 0.2° of the NO CUTOUT PULSE WIDTH; refer to "2.3.2 Removal of Unit Injector" .
- Verify replaced injector assembly(s); refer to "184.108.40.206 Verification of Repair for Faulty Fuel Injector" .
Verification of Repair for Faulty Fuel Injector
Perform the following to determine if the replaced fuel injector(s) resolved the excessive exhaust smoke condition:
- Start the engine.
- Run the engine speed to full load.
- Visually inspect the exhaust for excessive smoke.
- If the engine exhaust emission appears normal, no further troubleshooting is required. Shut the engine down.
- If the engine exhaust emission is excessive; shut the engine down. Refer to "21.6 Defective Turbocharger" .
|Series 50 Service Manual - 6SE50|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|