Perform the following steps for straight leads using the splice method:
- To repair straight leads using the splice method:
- Locate broken wire.
- Remove insulation as required: be sure exposed wire is clean and not corroded.
- Slide a sleeve of shrink wrap on the wire long enough to cover the splice and overlap the wire insulation.
- To repair leads using solder is an optional method:
- You must
use rosin core solder.
- Check the exposed wire before the splice is crimped in its connector. The exposed wire must
be clean before splice is crimped.
- Use a suitable electronic soldering iron to heat the wires. Apply the solder to the heated wire (not the soldering iron) allowing sufficient solder flow into the splice joint.
- Pull on connection to assure crimping and soldering integrity.