Test #6 Fuel Pump Driven Gear Bolt Torque
The following describes how to check the fuel pump driven gear bolt torque. Insufficient torque on the bolt will impact engine performance.
Performing Test #6
Test as follows:
- Remove the fuel pump.
- Set a clicker-type torque wrench to 30 N·m (22 lb·ft).
Do not apply a torque over 30 N·m (22 lb·ft). Excessive torque can cause the bolt/gear failure.
- Turn the torque wrench as shown by the arrow in until the torque wrench “clicks.” This resistance ensures that the fuel pump drive gear bolt is in good condition. In the event of NO resistance found with shaft turning freely, proceed to step 4. See Figure
"Checking Fuel Pump Drive Gear"
1. Torque Wrench
3. Fuel Pump
2. Fuel Pump Drive Gear Splines
4. Fuel Pump Gasket
Figure 1. Checking Fuel Pump Drive Gear
- Remove the crankshaft vibration damper from the engine through the opening in the bumper.
- Remove the idler pulley and the air conditioner compressor pad.
- Remove the camshaft gear cover. See Figure "Removing/Installing Fuel Pump Drive Gear and Bolt" .
- Remove the bolt and use a puller to remove the gear. See Figure
"Removing/Installing Fuel Pump Drive Gear and Bolt"
1. Camshaft Gear Cover
4. Fuel Pump Drive Gear
2. Drive Gear Mounting Bolt
5. Camshaft Gear Cover Gasket
3. Fuel Pump Drive Bearing Shaft
Figure 2. Removing/Installing Fuel Pump Drive Gear and Bolt
- Check the mounting between bolt, gear, and shaft. Look for damaged parts. Replace damaged parts.
- Install gear and bolt. Apply Loctite® 271 sealant to the bolt threads and install gear and bolt. Install the fuel pump gear locking device (J-46187) into the fuel pump drive splines and secure the shaft from turning while torquing bolt. Torque the bolt to 35 N·m (26 lb·ft). See Figure "Removing/Installing Fuel Pump Drive Gear and Bolt" .
- Install camshaft front cover and secure with eight bolts. Torque the bolts to 50 N·m (37 lb·ft).
- Install the air conditioner compressor pad and the idler pulley.
- Install the alternator and electrical connections. Refer to the appropriate vehicle service manual.
- Install the crankshaft vibration damper on the crankshaft. Refer to the MBE 4000 Service Manual (6SE420), Chapter 1, “Engine-Crankshaft Vibration Damper”.
- Install the fuel pump and a new fuel pump gasket. Refer to the MBE 4000 Service Manual (6SE420), Chapter 2, “Fuel System-Fuel Pump”.
|EPA07 MBE 4000 DDEC VI Troubleshooting Guide - 6SE568|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|