Valve Lash Adjustments
Accurate adjustment of intake and exhaust valve lash is important if maximum performance and economy are to be obtained.
- Adjust valve lash as follows.
- Rotate the crankshaft until the #1 piston is on the compression stroke and the timing pointer on the front cover is in line with the TDC mark on the vibration damper.
- Set valve lash by loosening the locknut and turning the valve adjustment screw with the appropriate size feeler gage inserted between the rocker arm and valve stem tip. Tighten the valve adjustment screw until the valve lever can support the feeler gage. See Figure "Valve Lash Adjustment" .
- Tighten the locknut once the valve adjustment is set. Remove the feeler gage. See Figure "Valve Lash Adjustment" .
2. Insert Feeler Gage
Figure 1. Valve Lash Adjustment
Figure 2. Valve Lash Adjustment
- Install baffle assembly. Ensure deflectors are securely attached to the baffle. If necessary, replace the deflector using a multi-purpose adhesive sealant.
Valve Lash Adjustment Sequence
Six valves are adjusted when the No. 1 piston is at TDC (compression) and the remaining six are adjusted when the No. 6 piston is at TDC. See Figure "Valve Lash Adjustment Sequence" .
Figure 3. Valve Lash Adjustment Sequence
- Install the gasket onto the cylinder head and align the valve cover/intake manifold cover and gasket. Torque the valve cover/intake manifold mounting bolts to specifications. See Figure
"Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Cover and Gasket"
. Refer to "Additional Information"
Note: Ensure valve cover gasket is aligned before tightening.
Figure 4. Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Cover and Gasket
- Install the following components. Refer to the appropriate manual section for installation procedures.
- Thermostat; refer to "4.3.2 Installation of Thermostat Assembly"
- Exhaust manifold; refer to "7.2.2 Installation of Exhaust Manifold"
- Turbocharger; refer to "6.3.5 Turbocharger Installation"
- Fuel injection nozzles; refer to "184.108.40.206 Nozzle Assembly"
|Series 40E Service Manual - 6SE410|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|