Faulty Electronic Control Module
To determine if a faulty electronic control module is causing excessive white smoke, perform the following:
- Check for faulty electronic control module; refer to "16.6 Faulty Electronic Control Module" .
- Check for faulty ECM repair; refer to "16.6.1 Faulty ECM Repair" .
- Verify ECM repair; refer to "23.7.1 Test Engine with Repair to the Electronic Control Unit" .
Test Engine with Repair to the Electronic Control Unit
Perform the following to determine if the ECM repair resolved excessive white smoke:
- Start and run the engine.
- Run the engine at idle with a no-load for approximately 5 minutes, allowing the engine coolant to reach normal operating range.
- Visually inspect exhaust for excessive white smoke.
- If the engine exhaust emission appears normal, no further troubleshooting is required. Shut the engine down.
- If the engine exhaust emission is excessively white, shut the engine down. Call Detroit Diesel Technical Service Group.
|Series 50 Service Manual - 6SE50|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|