Oil Level Gage Tube Removal and Assembly
Use the following procedures to remove and assemble the oil level gage tube.
Removal of Oil Level Gage Tube Assembly
Remove the oil level gage tube assembly as follows:
- Loosen screw securing oil filter tube clamp to the crankcase.
- Lift oil level gage, oil filler tube and oil filler tube clamp from the crankcase as an assembly.
- Discard O-ring gasket.
- If necessary, remove the oil level gage tube from the crankcase using a brass drift and hammer.
Note: Removal of oil level gage tube from the crankcase requires removal of the oil pan. For oil pan removal, refer to "3.4 Oil Pan" .
Cleaning of Oil Filter and Oil Level Gage Tubes
Clean oil filler and oil level gage tubes as follows:
- Thoroughly clean both tubes and clear any obstructions.
- Remove all old Loctite® from the oil level gage and crankcase casting area that mates with the tube.
Inspection of Oil Level Gage Tube Assembly
Inspect the oil level gage tube assembly as follows:
- Visually inspect the components for kinks, bends or restrictions.
- Replace the components as required.
Installation of Oil Level Gage Tube Assembly
Install the oil level gage tube assembly as follows:
- Install the lower oil level gage tube into the crankcase orifice as follows:
- Apply Loctite #609 around the entire circumference of tube and casting.
- Press the tube in until the bead is seated in the chamber of the crankcase.
Note: The slots in the oil level gage tube need not be oriented in any special manner.
- Install new O-ring gasket onto the oil level filler tube.
- Insert the oil level filler tube into the oil level gage tube; orient the oil filler tube to the rear and as far inboard as possible.
- Torque the oil filler tube clamp screw to specifications.
|Series 40E Service Manual - 6SE410|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|