Weather Pack™ and Metri-Pack 280 Series Connectors
Weather Pack ™ and Metri-Pack ™ 280 series connectors are push-to-seat. The terminal is crimped onto each wire before it is inserted into the connector. A cable seal is crimped on each wire at the same time the terminal is crimped onto the wire. Weather Pack connectors use a secondary lock on both male and female connector bodies and the lock snaps into place over the cable seals after installation. Some Metri-Pack connectors have secondary locks as well.
Weather Pack and Metri-Pack is a trademark of Delphi-Packard.
Repair and Replacement of Weather Pack and Metri-Pack 280 Series Connectors
Repairs to Weather Pack and Metri-Pack 280 series connectors are not possible. Remove the defective or damaged connector and replace. Refer to "8.9.2 Removal of Weather Pack and Metri-Pack 280 Series Connectors " .
Removal of Weather Pack and Metri-Pack 280 Series Connectors
Two locking tangs are used on the terminals to secure them to the connector body. Use the following instructions for removing terminals from the connector body.
- Grasp the cable to be removed and push the terminal to the forward position.
Insert the removal tool straight into the front of the connector cavity until it rests on the cavity shoulder. See Figure
"Removal Tool Procedure
Figure 1. Removal Tool Procedure
- Grasp the cable and push it forward through the connector cavity into the tool while holding the tool securely in place. The tool will depress the locking tangs of the terminal.
- Pull the cable rearward (back through the connector).
- Remove the tool from the connector cavity.
- Cut the wire immediately behind the cable seal.
- Follow the installation instructions for crimping the terminal and inserting it into the connector.
Installation of Weather Pack and Metri-Pack 280 Series Connectors
Use the following instructions for terminal installation:
- Slip the cable seal onto the wire.
- Strip the end of the cable using strippers to leave 5.0 mm 0.20 in. (±0.5 ±0.02 in.) of bare connector.
to position the cable seal.
Figure 2. Terminal Position
- Insert the terminal into the locating hole of the crimping tool using the proper hole according to the gage of the cable to be used. See Figure "Cable and Terminal Position Before and After Crimping " .
- Insert the cable into the terminal until the stripped portion is positioned in the cable core wings, and the seal and insulated portion of the cable are in the insulation wings. See Figure "Cable and Terminal Position Before and After Crimping " .
Compress the handles of the crimping tool until the ratchet automatically releases and the crimp is complete. See Figure
"Cable and Terminal Position Before and After Crimping
for a properly crimped terminal.
Figure 3. Cable and Terminal Position Before and After Crimping
- Release the crimping tool with the lock lever located between the handles, in case of jamming.
Push the crimped terminal into the connector until it clicks into place. Gently tug on the cable to make sure it is secure. See Figure
"Inserting Terminal in Connector
Figure 4. Inserting Terminal in Connector
|Series 50 Service Manual - 6SE50|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|