Insufficient Fuel Oil Flow
To determine if insufficient fuel oil flow is causing rough running or stalling, do the following:
- Perform a fuel oil flow test; refer to "29.7 Fuel Oil Flow Test" .
- Analyze the fuel oil flow test results.
- If the fuel oil rate is 246 L/hr (65 gal/hr), refer to "24.4 High Fuel Oil Temperature Return" .
- If the fuel oil rate is less than 246 L/hr (65 gal/hr), resolve the insufficient fuel oil flow; refer to "24.3.1 Insufficient Fuel Oil Flow Resolution" .
Insufficient Fuel Oil Flow Resolution
Perform the following steps to resolve the insufficient fuel oil flow:
- Replace the fuel filter(s); refer to "13.5.11 Fuel Filters"
Note: Always fill the filter(s) with clean fuel oil before installing. Turn the filter(s) until they contact the gasket fully. Then, turn them an additional two-thirds by hand.
- Inspect the fuel lines for restrictions due to pinching, kinking or other damage. If damage is found, repair as necessary; refer to OEM guidelines.
- Inspect the cylinder head for a correct restricted fitting. If an incorrect fitting is found, replace with a new fitting; refer to "1.2.2 Removal and Cleaning of Cylinder Head" .
- Inspect the fuel return check valve for restrictive movement; refer to "2.8.2 Fuel Return System Check Valve" .
- Inspect the fuel pump drive assembly. If damage is found, repair as necessary; refer to "2.5.2 Removal of Fuel Pump" .
- Verify repairs done to correct insufficient fuel oil flow; refer to "184.108.40.206 Test the Engine with Resolved Fuel Oil Flow" .
Test the Engine with Resolved Fuel Oil Flow
Perform the following steps to determine if the fuel oil flow resolution resolved rough running or stalling:
- Start and run the engine.
- Run the engine at idle with a no-load for approximately 5 minutes, allowing the engine coolant to reach normal operating range, 88-96°C (190-210°F).
- If the engine is not running rough or stalling, no further troubleshooting is required. Shut the engine down.
- If the engine is running rough or stalling, shut the engine down. Check for high fuel oil temperature return; refer to "24.4 High Fuel Oil Temperature Return" .
|Series 50 Service Manual - 6SE50|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|