Perform the following procedures for removal and installation of the starter.
Remove the starter as follows:
- Disconnect the batteries.
- At the solenoid, disconnect the control cable and the starter cables. See Figure
"Starter Removal and Installation"
1. Control Cable
3. Starter Motor
2. Starter Cables
Figure 1. Starter Removal and Installation
- Remove the three starter mounting nuts, and remove the starter from the flywheel housing of the engine.
- Inspect the starter pinion for wear. If worn, replace the starter.
- Inside the flywheel housing, inspect the teeth of the flywheel ring gear for wear. If worn, replace the flywheel ring gear. Refer to "1.11.1 Flywheel Ring Gear Removal" .
Install the starter as follows:
- Apply a light film of grease to the starter pinion and flywheel ring gear.
- Install the starter. Tighten the mounting nuts 50 N·m (37 lb·ft).
- Connect the starter cables and the control cable to the solenoid. See Figure "Starter Removal and Installation" .
- Connect the batteries.
|MBE 900 Service Manual - 6SE414|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|