The flywheel is attached to the rear of the crankshaft with six bolts. The bolt holes in the crankshaft and flywheel are evenly spaced. The flywheel is indexed to the crankshaft with a roll pin. See Figure "Flywheel Assembly" .
Figure 1. Flywheel Assembly
Repair or Replacement of Flywheel
To determine if replacement of the flywheel is necessary, perform the following procedure. See Figure "Repair or Replacement of Flywheel Flowchart" .
Figure 2. Repair or Replacement of Flywheel Flowchart
Removal of the Flywheel
Removal of flywheel as follows:
- Remove engine speed sensor. Refer to "2.6.2 Removal of Engine Speed Sensor" .
- Remove transmission assembly. Refer to OEM guidelines.
- Remove clutch pressure plate and disk assembly. Refer to OEM guidelines.
- Remove six flywheel-to-crankshaft retaining bolts. See Figure
"Flywheel-to-Crankshaft Retaining Bolts Location"
Figure 3. Flywheel-to-Crankshaft Retaining Bolts Location
- Remove flywheel from crankshaft.
Inspection of the Flywheel
Inspect the flywheel as follows:
- Visually check the flywheel clutch surface for scoring and wear.
- Visually check the flywheel clutch surface for cracking.
- Visually check the flywheel ring gear for worn or damaged gear teeth.
- Visually check the flywheel-to-crankshaft contact surface for fretting, brinelling, or burning.
- Visually check the flywheel surface for grooving.
Installation of Flywheel
Install the flywheel as follows:
- Install flywheel to the crankshaft using six retaining bolts. Torque bolts in diametrically opposite pairs to 137 N · m (101 lb · ft.). See Figure
"Flywheel Torque Sequence"
Note: Lightly lubricate bolts with lubrication oil.
Figure 4. Flywheel Torque Sequence
- Install clutch pressure plate and disk assembly. Refer to OEM guidelines.
- Install transmission assembly. Refer to OEM guidelines.
- Install engine speed sensor. Refer to "2.6.3 Installation of Engine Speed Sensor" .
- Run the engine to verify repair.
|Series 638 Service Manual - 6SE648|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|