To determine if low compression is causing excessive exhaust smoke, perform the following steps:
- Perform a cylinder compression test; refer to "2.2 Compression Pressure Test" .
- Compare cylinder compression test results to specifications as listed in Table
"Compression Testing Specifications"
Pressure in kPa (psi)
Compression Pressure at Starter Speed
Permissible Difference between Individual Cylinders
- If cylinder compression pressure is below specifications, refer to "9.15.1 Low Compression Repair" .
- If cylinder compression pressure is within specifications, call Detroit Diesel Customer Support Center at 313-592-5800.
Low Compression Repair
Perform the following steps for low compression repair.
- Remove cylinder head; refer to MBE 4000 Service Manual (6SE420), Chapter 1, “Engine — Cylinder Head”.
- Inspect the cylinder head for worn or damaged valves; refer to MBE 4000 Service Manual (6SE420), Chapter 1, “Engine — Valves”.
- Replace damaged valves; refer to MBE 4000 Service Manual (6SE420), Chapter 1, “Engine — Valves”.
- Inspect the cylinder kit components for worn or damaged liners, pistons; or piston rings.
- Verify repairs made to cylinder head valve(s) or cylinder kit components have corrected the excessive exhaust smoke concern; refer to "126.96.36.199 Test Engine with Repaired Cylinder Head Valve(s), and Cylinder Kit" .
Test Engine with Repaired Cylinder Head Valve(s), and Cylinder Kit
To determine if the cylinder head valve and cylinder kit repair resolved excessive exhaust smoke, perform the following steps:
To avoid injury before starting and running the engine, ensure the vehicle is parked on a level surface, parking brake is set, and the wheels are blocked.
- Attempt to start and run the engine, if the engine starts and runs without excessive exhaust smoke, no further troubleshooting is required. Shut down the engine.
- If the engine continues to have excessive exhaust smoke, call the Detroit Diesel Customer Support Center at 313-592-5800.
|EPA07 MBE 4000 DDEC VI Troubleshooting Guide - 6SE568|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|