Front Crankshaft Wear Sleeve
A steel sleeve is fitted to the front of the crankshaft to provide a sealing surface for the front crankshaft oil seal. See Figure "Front Crankshaft Wear Sleeve" .
1.Front of Crankshaft
2.Front Wear Sleeve
Figure 1. Front Crankshaft Wear Sleeve
Repair or Replacement of Front Crankshaft Wear Sleeve
To determine if repair is possible or replacement is necessary, perform the following procedure. See Figure "Location of Thrust Bearings" .
Removal of Front Crankshaft Wear Sleeve
Pre-cleaning is not necessary. Remove the front crankshaft wear sleeve as follows:
- Remove the crankshaft pulley. Refer to "1.11.2 Removal of Crankshaft Pulley" .
- Remove the vibration damper. Refer to "1.10.2 Removal of Crankshaft Vibration Damper" .
- Remove the splash ring.
- Remove the front engine mount. Refer to "1.1.2 Cleaning and Removal of Cylinder Block" .
- Remove the six mounting bolts securing lower front cover to cylinder block.
- Remove the front oil pan mounting bolts. Refer to "3.8.2 Removal of Oil Pan" .
- Remove the lower front cover with oil seal. Refer to "1.8.4 Removal of Lower Front Cover" .
- Remove any gasket material from cylinder block and lower front cover.
- Position wear sleeve remover J 41598 behind wear sleeve.
- Tighten center screw on J 41598
to remove wear sleeve from crankshaft. See Figure
"Front Crankshaft Wear Sleeve Removal"
2.Front Wear Sleeve
Figure 2. Front Crankshaft Wear Sleeve Removal
Installation of Front Crankshaft Flywheel Wear Sleeve
Install the crankshaft wear sleeve as follows:
- Position the wear sleeve over the crankshaft.
- Using the drive handle of wear sleeve installerJ 41593
, tap the wear sleeve onto the crankshaft. See Figure
"Front Crankshaft Wear Sleeve Installation"
1.Front Wear Sleeve
Figure 3. Front Crankshaft Wear Sleeve Installation
- Position new lower front cover gasket on cylinder block.
- Install lower front cover on cylinder block. Refer to "1.8.5 Installation of Lower Front Cover" .
- Torque six mounting bolts to 30-38 N · m (22-28 lb · ft).
- Install front oil pan mounting bolts.
- Torque mounting bolts to 30-33 N · m (22-24 lb · ft) torque.
- Install front engine mount.
- Install the vibration damper. Refer to "1.10.3 Installation of Crankshaft Vibration Damper" .
- Install the crankshaft pulley. Refer to "1.11.3 Installation of Crankshaft Pulley" .
|Series 55 Service Manual - 6SE55|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|