The turbocharger is mounted on the exhaust outlet flange of the exhaust manifold. After the engine is started, the exhaust gases flow from the engine through the turbine housing, causing the turbine wheel and shaft to rotate. See Figure "Turbocharger" . The gases are discharged into the exhaust system after passing through the turbine housing. The compressor wheel, located in the compressor housing, is mounted on the opposite end of the turbine wheel shaft and rotates with the turbine wheel. The compressor wheel draws in clean air, compresses it, and delivers high pressure air through the intake manifold to the engine cylinders.
2.Turbocharger Mounting Flange
Figure 1. Turbocharger
Repair or Replacement of Turbocharger
To determine if repair or replacement of the turbocharger is necessary, perform the following procedure. See Figure "Repair or Replacement of Turbocharger Flowchart" .
Figure 2. Repair or Replacement of Turbocharger Flowchart
Removal of Turbocharger
Remove the turbocharger as follows:
To avoid injury from hot surfaces, allow engine to cool before removing any component. Wear protective gloves.
To avoid injury from contact with rotating parts when an engine is operating with the air inlet piping removed, install an air inlet screen shield over the turbocharger air inlet. The shield prevents contact with rotating parts.
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe connection at the turbocharger. See Figure
"Turbocharger and Oil Line Assembly Removal"
1.Oil Drain Line
7.Oil Supply Line
Figure 3. Turbocharger and Oil Line Assembly Removal
- Disconnect the air cleaner. Refer to OEM guidelines.
- Disconnect the air outlet ducting from the turbocharger to the intake manifold.
Note: Plug the oil supply and oil drain line after removal to prevent foreign objects from entering.
- Remove the turbocharger oil supply tube from the turbocharger.
- Disconnect the turbocharger oil drain tube from the cylinder block connector.
- Remove the four mounting nuts securing the turbocharger to exhaust manifold.
- Discard mounting nuts.
- Remove any old gasket material from the exhaust manifold.
- Remove the turbocharger from the exhaust manifold.
- Remove the two bolts securing the oil drain tube to the bottom of the turbocharger. Discard the oil tube drain gasket.
- Remove the oil supply line fitting from turbocharger.
Inspection of Turbocharger
Inspect the turbocharger as follows:
- Inspect the turbocharger for cracks or a leaking oil seal.
- Inspect the mounting bolts, nuts, or studs, for stripping or other damage.
- If any of these conditions is detected, replace the turbocharger.
Installation of Turbocharger
Install the turbocharger as follows:
Note: Remove any protective plugs or caps that have been installed.
- Install the oil supply fitting in the turbocharger. See Figure
"Oil Supply Fitting"
1.Oil Drain Line
7.Oil Supply Line
Figure 4. Oil Supply Fitting
- Install oil drain tube and new gasket. Tighten the mounting bolts to 30-38 N · m (22-28 lb · ft) torque.
- Position the turbocharger mounting gasket to the exhaust manifold.
- Install turbocharger on exhaust manifold. Secure it with new mounting nuts.
- Tighten turbocharger mounting nuts to 48-52 N · m (35-38 lb · ft) torque.
- Connect turbocharger oil supply to fitting.
- Connect turbocharger oil drain to connector at cylinder block.
- Connect the exhaust pipe connection at the turbocharger.
- Connect the air cleaner. Refer to OEM guidelines.
- Connect the air outlet ducting from the turbocharger to the aftercooler.
|Series 55 Service Manual - 6SE55|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|