Turbo Speed Sensor (TSS)
The Turbo Speed Sensor (TSS) senses turbo speed for overspeed conditions. See Figure "Turbo Speed Sensor (TSS)" .
Figure 1. Turbo Speed Sensor (TSS)
Replacement of Turbo Speed Sensor (TSS)
Servicing of the speed sensor is limited to its replacement.
Removal of the Turbo Speed Sensor
For Series 60 engines equipped with EGR systems remove the turbocharger speed sensor from the turbocharger as follows:
Note: If the turbocharger speed sensor is difficult to access, removal of the turbocharger may be required.Refer to "6.5.2 Removal and Cleaning of Turbocharger"
- Clean the center housing area around the base of the speed sensor. See Figure
"Location of Speed Sensor"
1. Turbocharger Speed Sensor
2. Center Housing
Figure 2. Location of Speed Sensor
- Disconnect the wire from the sensor from the main harness.
- Place turbocharger speed sensor socket (J–45643)
on speed sensor while threading the lead wire through the slot in the side of the socket.
1. Sensor Lead Wire
2. Turbocharger Speed Sensor Socket
Figure 3. Removal of Turbocharger Speed Sensor
Ensure the turbocharger shaft is secured and not rotated when the turbocharger speed sensor is removed from the bearing spacer. Turning the shaft without the sensor in place can rotate the bearing spacer. If the sensor is not properly positioned in the opening of the bearing spacer, see Figure "Turbocharger Speed Sensor Position" , the sensor and turbocharger bearings will be damaged during sensor installation.
1. Bearing Spacer
3. Turbocharger Speed Sensor
2. Spacer Hole
Figure 4. Turbocharger Speed Sensor Position
- Loosen and remove the sensor while avoiding excessive pulling, bending or twisting of the sensor lead wire.
Installation of the Speed Sensor
Install the turbocharger speed sensor in the center housing as follows:
- Place the turbocharger speed sensor socket ( J–45643) over the head of the turbocharger speed sensor with the lead wire through the slot on the side of the socket.
- Inspect the threaded hole for the speed sensor and ensure the hole in the bearing spacer is aligned and the rotor shaft is visible.
- Manually insert the turbocharger speed sensor into the threaded hole of the center housing wall. Turn the sensor until the sealing lip on the underside of the sensor seats against the flat on the center housing and the sensor is finger tight.
- Turn the turbocharger rotor to ensure it spins freely with minimal resistance. If binding occurs, repeat speed sensor installation.
Ensure the turbocharger rotor turns freely. If the shaft binds, the speed sensor is not aligned with the bearing spacer and damage can occur to the shaft and speed sensor.
- Tighten the speed sensor to 10-11 N·m (90-100 lb·in.) torque.
- Turn the turbocharger rotor to ensure it spins freely. If binding occurs it is not aligned properly. Refer to step 3.
|Series 60 Service Manual - 6SE483|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|