The special tools listed below are required for this procedure:
- Engine Barring Tool (J–46392)
- 19 mm Flywheel and Main Pulley Socket (J–45390)
- Flywheel Pilot Bearing Remover J-46170
- Flywheel Pilot Bearing Installer J-46169
- Slide Hammer J-6471–02
- Driver Handle J-8092
Perform the following procedures for removal and installation of the pilot bearing and spacer .
Pilot Bearing Removal
Remove the pilot bearing as follows:
- Remove the transmission.Refer to the appropriate vehicle service manual.
- Remove the clutch from the flywheel. Refer to the appropriate vehicle service manual.
- Install the engine barring tool (J–46392) . Refer to "1.16.1 Engine Barring Tool Installation" .
- Using the 19 mm socket (J–45390) , remove eight flywheel socket-head bolts from the flywheel leaving one bolt across from each other on the bolt circle.
Install and finger-tighten two M16 x 1.5 x 70 mm hex-head bolts (to be locally procured) across from each other in the flywheel. Position the two bolts with the flats of the bolt head parallel to the pilot bearing bore. See Figure
"Flywheel Bolt Positioning"
Note: The flats on the hex-head bolts must be parallel to the pilot bearing bore in order to have sufficient clearance to remove the pilot bearing.
2. M16 x 1.5 x 70mm Hex-Head Bolt
Figure 1. Flywheel Bolt Positioning
- Remove the remaining two flywheel bolts.
Inspect the flywheel bolts. Replace the bolts if any of the shanks are stretched beyond the maximum length of 77.0 mm (3.03 in.). See Figure
"Measuring the Flywheel Bolts"
Figure 2. Measuring the Flywheel Bolts
- Install pilot bearing remover tool (J-46170) into the bearing and expand the tool to fit snug in the bearing inside diameter.
- Attach a suitable slide hammer (J-6471–02)
, with 5/8–18 male threads, to the extractor and remove the bearing.
"Pilot Bearing Removal"
2. M16 x 1.5 x 70 mm Bolt
Figure 3. Pilot Bearing Removal
- Clean the pilot bearing bore in the flywheel and inspect for damage or spun bearing, replace flywheel if damage is found.
Pilot Bearing Installation
Install the pilot bearing as follows:
Ensure that the spacer ring is installed prior to installing the pilot bearing in the flywheel. Failure to install the spacer ring will result in improper operation of the transmission.
- Ensure that the spacer ring is installed in the flywheel prior to installing the pilot bearing. See Figure "Pilot Bearing Installation" .
- Using the flywheel pilot bearing installer (J-46169)
and driver handle (J-8092)
, position the bearing on the flywheel and drive it into the flywheel until seated.
"Pilot Bearing Installation"
1. Pilot Bearing
2. Spacer Ring
4. M16 x 1.5 x 70 mm Hex-Head Bolt
Figure 4. Pilot Bearing Installation
- Lubricate the flywheel bolts with a light coat of engine oil.
- Install two standard flywheel bolts, finger tight, perpendicular to the M16 x 1.5 x 70mm bolts. Remove the special bolts.
- Install the remaining eight flywheel bolts.
Tighten the flywheel bolts in two stages. In each stage, use an alternate sequence to tighten the bolts, as listed in Table
"Tightening Stages, Flywheel Mounting Bolts"
Max. Shaft Length, mm (in.)
Torque Value, N·m (lb·ft)
- Remove the engine barring tool (J-46392). Refer to "1.16.2 Engine Barring Tool Removal" .
- Install the clutch on the flywheel. Refer to the appropriate vehicle service manual.
- Install the transmission. Refer to the appropriate vehicle service manual.
|MBE 4000 Service Manual - 6SE412|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|