Engine Lifter Brackets
A total of three engine lifter brackets are installed on each Series 50 Engines and are utilized when removing and replacing the engine. See Figure "Lifting Engine " .
Figure 1. Lifting Engine
To lift the engine, use a suitable lifting device. See Figure "Lifting Engine " . A spreader bar should be used with a sling and adequate chain hoist when lifting any engine. The lifting device should be adjusted so the lifting hooks are vertical to prevent bending the engine lift brackets. To ensure proper weight distribution, all three engine lift brackets provided must be used in lifting the engine. Be sure the spreader bar is adequate to prevent lifter brackets from contacting the engine rocker cover and causing damage.
A lifter bracket should always be reinstalled whenever removal is necessary. See Figure "Engine Lifter Brackets" .
Figure 2. Engine Lifter Brackets
Repair or Replacement of the Lifter Bracket
To determine if repair is possible or replacement is necessary perform the following procedure. See Figure "Flowchart for Repair or Replacement of Lifter Bracket" .
Figure 3. Flowchart for Repair or Replacement of Lifter Bracket
Removal and Cleaning of Lifter Bracket
Perform the following steps for lifter bracket removal:
- Remove the bolts securing the lifter bracket to the engine.
Inspection of Lifter Bracket
Perform the following for lifter bracket inspection:
To avoid injury from a falling engine, do not use a damaged lifter bracket when lifting the engine.
- Inspect the lifter brackets for cracks, bending or other damage.
- Replace the bracket if any of these conditions exist.
Installation of Lifter Bracket
Perform the following steps for lifter bracket installation:
- Install the bracket to the engine. Torque the mounting bolts to 101-126 N·m (75-93 lb·ft).
- Follow the fan support bracket installation instructions, torque specifications, and tightening sequence in "Installation of Gear Case Cover;" refer to "1.10.3 Installation of Gear Case Cover" .
|Series 50 Service Manual - 6SE50|
|Generated on 10-13-2008|